Founded in 1912
Allen Parish is comprised of the cities, towns and villages of Oakdale, Kinder, Oberlin, Reeves and Elizabeth. It is the home of the Coushatta Indian Tribe, known as the “Red Shoes People,” and the Coushatta Casino Resort, the largest land-based casino in Louisiana. This large rural community is known for its farming, hunting, fishing and canoeing. Each year, approximately 56,000 acres of rice are grown and 15,000 of those are also crawfish farms.
Points of Interest
- One of Louisiana’s most enjoyable scenic waterways, Ouiska Chitto Creek, runs through the parish offering many recreational opportunities.
- The Southern Tier Cycling Trail on Hwy 26 draws in visitors from all over the world traveling from San Francisco, CA to St. Augustine, FL, dipping their tires in both the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean.
- Trips to the Leatherwood Museum and Elizabeth Haunted Hospital Museum offer history, folklore and ghost stories for all.
- The annual fall Re-Thunk Junk Flea Market Trail provides 60 miles of bargain shopping for hidden treasures.
- Select live Christmas trees and partake in traditional holiday celebrations at the Grant Christmas Tree Farm where there is fun for the whole family.